Sweet Fabric + words and pictures

Words & pictures...catching up

I pack myself and my sweet as anything one year old into the car. We’ll be gone all day and we seem to have a lot of outing luggage.

It’s a perfect Autumn morning, crisp and fresh. The leaves from our Oak are crunching under my feet and whipping around my ankles as I circle the car making sure I’ve got everything.

We pull out of the driveway and I’m already dreading the drive home. I wonder to myself why that is. The drive out never feels so bad but the drive home is pure torture.

The trees that line the side of the road are being tossed around by a fierce wind. I smile, knowing that Megan will have a Hills Hoist full of washing by the time we arrive. “It’s a good drying day Koo, three loads already this morning”.

We pull up outside Megan’s place. She’s sitting on the verandah with a cup of tea. Her two little boys are clad in gumboots and parkas and playing in the leaves. It’s such a lovely sight.

The boys are called inside and I make a fresh cuppa each. We both have Earl Grey. Megan has hers milky with a sugar and mine is strong with a splash of milk. There’s no standing on ceremony, whoever is up makes the tea. When I’m at home I rarely drink tea but at Megan’s place I drink at least six cups.

Flo’s scones are in the oven and dinner is already in the Crockpot. The heating is up too high – just the way I like it.

I look out the back window and see the line full. The white sheets look so beautiful against the lush green grass. There’s something up with the drainage and Mike is slowly digging an “aggie” along the top fence. The kids really need puddle suits but make do with their gumboots and come in wet and cold and rosy cheeked.

We spend the day catching up on all the news from the week. Even though we talk on the phone every day a week seems such a long time. We lose the day in easy chatter, cups of tea and cuddles with kids.

After the sixth cup of tea I’m ready to face the drive and we pack up and head for home. I check my rear view mirror when we reach the bottom of the hill. Megan and the boys are waving madly and my worn out babe is sound asleep.

More catching up stories here.

beautiful, friends, good, home, love, MAD, memory, TIME, and more:

Words & pictures...catching up + words and pictures