Sweet Fabric + TIME

Knitting with denim...

See more images here

A couple of months ago I picked up an Avant card for Do it with Denim, a competition run in conjunction with Jeans for Genes & in support of Children's Medical Research Institute. The Institute is celebrating it's 50th birthday this year.

I got all inspired & made this to enter into the competition. It's what the broomstick needles were fashioned for & what this tease was all about.

My dear sweet friend modelled for me & I got all my stuff together ready for the entry...

Hausfrau
I have taken my inspiration from housewives of the 1950s for this project.

This garment has been constructed entirely by hand using handcrafts employed by a 1950’s housewife. The garment itself is knitted from hand cut strips of denim jeans (6 pairs) & the gold detail is crochet.

Many supporters of charitable organisations have been & continue to be housewives. They give their time to assist with labour & fundraising. I am proud to represent this group.


"To be a housewife is a difficult, a wrenching, sometimes an ungrateful job if it is looked on only as a job. Regarded as a profession, it is the noblest as it is the most ancient of the catalogue. Let none persuade us differently or the world is lost indeed."
Phyllis McGinley


Denim jeans are such an everyday garment & I wanted my recreated jeans to also be an everyday & loved as much as the original garment.

Hausfrau is a vest that can be worn at least 4 different ways.

....Then I re read the terms & conditions.


"Kirsty needs to read the question carefully before beginning a task" (quote taken from EVERY school report I ever received).
Yikes! The competition is really for budding designers...that's not me! I'm just a girl who likes to make stuff.

So, I haven't entered. BUT...Hausfrau will be worn to death by me & maybe Trace too. It wasn't a complete waste of time.

a little help from my friends, craft, crochet, friends, knitting, love, MAD, made by me, Oops, original, Room, and more:

Knitting with denim... + TIME