Sweet Fabric + TIME

Do you speak crochet?...
Chunky Crochet Map

I've just realised I missed a whole round of the .. in the centre of the double clusters. Blow.

I found one of the hexagon jackets that inspired the granny shrug. I'd completely forgotten where I'd seen it most recently & it was (of course) Sarah London.

I'm really pretty terrible at reading instructions & prefer to "read" the actual piece.

But I've prepared a little "how I" rather than a how to.

Yarn
Caressa Express - it's one of those "super chunky fast knit yarns" which isn't a ply. As the gorgeous grey (& possibly the yarn) is discontinued I did a bit of experimenting yesterday to offer some alternatives.

Chunky Crochet

The top hex is the Caressa Express which actually works out kind of expensive as each ball is only about 50 metres long.

The other grey one is a 14 ply which is about the same price per ball but has around 100 metres per ball.

Finally, the blue is two balls of 8 ply crocheted together. This would probably work out around the same price as the 14 ply but what I like about this option is that your colour choice is massive.

The Hook
I used a 15mm hook. I am super tight though so you might want to try something a little smaller if you're an average or loose crochet queen.

Begin
It's just the same as crocheting a granny square (if you don't know how to to that you can learn from Pip or Sarah) except you're making your double clusters from the six points rather than four corners.

I made my hexagons "reversible" which means that the work is turned after each round. There's no right or wrong side. I like it because it seems to keep my work nice & even. My squares are square when I use this method. When you're not changing colours each round it does seem more prone to wonk uncontrollably (for me anyway).

Just keep adding rounds until it's the right size for you.

Have a go! Pretty small time investment & it does look really cute over a long sleeved top.

Granny Shrug Front

crochet, how to, MAD, and more:

Do you speak crochet?... + TIME