Sweet Fabric + Room

Football, meat pies...

kangaroos & holden cars. Classic Australian advertisement - it gave me a chuckle.

Classic September fare - the meat pie. I'd not made them before so I found a base recipe & then adapted to include some veg for the smalls & following my "use what you have" method of cooking.

So today's contribution to Mikes week of baking is:

Meat Pie a la me

1 kg quality mince
1 zucchini
2 onions
1 big handful of mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
4 tbs plain flour
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1/3 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 litre of stock (I used chicken)
1 tsp dried herbs (I used basil)

Puff Pastry
Egg Yolks

Preheat oven to 180C.

Process the zucchini, mushroom, onion & garlic.

Heat a bit of oil in a large frypan (about wok size). Add the veg mix to the pan & saute for a couple of minutes. Add the mince & brown.

Add the flour & mustard & cook & stir for a minute or two. Add the tomato, Worcestershire, stock & herbs. Bring to the boil & then simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the mixture has reduced & thickened.

Allow to cool.

Prepare your pastry casings. Because I'm lazy I just made square pies - less prep & less clean up. Plus the smalls didn't mind a bit. It tastes the same no matter what shape it is right?

Brush the sides with egg yolk. Spoon cooled mixture onto the pastry & seal edges with a fork. Brush the top of the pie with more egg yolk & cut slits in the top of each pie.

Place the pies onto a baking sheet & cook for about 15 minutes or until pies are puffed & golden.

MUST be served with tomato sauce.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I'm not so much for the meat but I loved this! Good for the iron levels.

Blog, cooking, good, love, MAD, and more:

Football, meat pies... + Room