Sweet Fabric + TIME

Return calls...

Stem Stitch (sort of)

Bits 'n Pieces said...
Beautiful stitches! But it looks like you don't use a hoop? Do you have a backing on your embroidery to make it "thicker" for both the embroidery and to hide knots? Thanks again for your tutorial!

No, I never use a hoop. To be honest I don't know how people can use a hoop for stitches that "run" I seem to fuss around for so long trying to get the needle up & down in one motion.

I sometimes use a backing. It depends on what the piece is going to be used for. If I plan to wash it I would never use a fusible product for fear of the wrinkling that sometimes occurs when the glue starts to wear off. If I'm making something just for show then yes, I back. I use a lovely iron on interfacing which I buy from Bustle & Bows in Melbourne. Sorry, I don't know what it's called but will ask next time I'm in the shop & update this response.

Nancy said...
Ah...you don't use a hoop? How do you keep the fabric from wrinkling?
I do my stem stitch the same way...what are we doing different?

I don't ever use a hoop & sometimes the wrinkling is an issue. I try to stretch & correct the base cloth as I go. If, once I've finished the piece the wrinkling is still obvious then I wet it & then give it a light press (face down on a nice thick towel) while it's still damp.

Actually quite a few people said that they stem stitch the same way as me. I guess it's just a slight variation. If you have a look here you will see that traditional stem stitch is worked slightly above the previous stitch & not through the same hole as the previous stitch.

Twisted Cord

Pamela asks...

I understood your instruction to make cording out of thread but what if I want to anchor the thread first onto my needlepoint canvas and make a cording which will serve to "outline" a shape on my canvas? This way the cording is secured in my needlepoint project but I want the cording to outline a shape and then anchor again at the "end" of the shape. How does one do this if the shape being outlined is not a straight line, but rather a circular form?

Good question Pamela. You could "couch" the twisted cord to the base cloth.
It would be very easy to hide your couching stitching inside the twists of the cord. See how to couch right here.

beautiful, Blog, good, love, phone a friend, and more:

Return calls... + TIME