Sweet Fabric + tutorial

How to iron embroidery...
Pressed & Dressed

I've mentioned before that I never use a hoop. Even though I'm really careful & I stretch & ease as I stitch my finished pieces are often a bit puckered. They never look it do they? I'll show you why! This might be the totally wrong thing to do but it works for me. If you're a traditionalist & you're tsking at me now...I'm sorry & don't read on.

First of all you should know that I HATE ironing. I do not iron a single item of clothing. The iron is reserved strictly for crafty activity. When it comes to embroidery however, the iron is my very best friend.

Secondly, I always transfer my designs (or freehand draw them) with a wash out marker. I'm not snobby or loyal about the brand. Whatever is on offer is fine for me. That means that every piece of stitching I do needs a little bath before I press it.

IMG_8415

Now prepare your ironing surface. You need a nice squishy towel. This will help absorb the moisture as well as protect your stitches.

IMG_8417

Next pull your embroidered piece out of it's bath & give it a gentle squeeze to remove excess moisture. Place it FACE DOWN on the towel.

IMG_8418

Now begin ironing the piece. Yes, while it's still wet. You are going to iron it dry. Use a dry setting on your iron & go slowly. Just waving the iron gently over the back of the work. Keep watching (& smelling) your work. Do NOT burn it. Once all the fabric is dry you might notice the stitches & fabric around the stitches is still a bit moist. That's OK, just leave it to dry lying flat.

IMG_8420

This piece was fairly simple & really didn't show any signs of puckering but was certainly covered in wash out marker. If you're working on a larger piece I would suggest ironing from the centre of the work out. Smooth & stretch your embroidered piece as you go.

embroidery, how to, and more:

How to iron embroidery... + tutorial